Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Style Matters: Chat Rooms and Identity

You’ve probably grown up with at least one person scolding you, “It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.” You’ve also probably dismissed it as ridiculous, if you haven’t outright ignored it. But it bears thinking about this old adage when it comes to analysing the effect that chat rooms have on identity.

Nowadays it’s more important than ever to pay attention to the language we use and the messages we convey in electronic forms such as chat rooms. Your sarcastic but harmless comment might just end up starting an Internet feud, and, hate to break it to you, but that joke is just not funny—I guess you had to be there.

This demonstrates the importance of language when it comes to identity formation online. Chat rooms are unique because they make it necessary for users to identify with a specific group and “act” accordingly. I emphasize the word act because of its two meanings in this context: first, as a conscious action, and second as a performance. In chat rooms, both of these aspects of meaning appear through written language. This is because users must choose which room to enter, and then, how to present themselves to the other users.

Internet users already construct some form of identity by choosing to enter a given chat room. Their choice can reveal hobbies, hidden talents, secret desires, professional skills and many other aspects of identity. In this way, the effects of choosing a chat room are like the effects of surfing the web—every decision tells something about you, whether you want it to or not.

Chat rooms also force users to construct identity through the way they communicate. This is largely contingent on the choice of chat room rather than the content of the communications themselves.

Consider this message:

I have been reading Kate Chopin’s The Awakening, and I am finding the prevalence of certain motifs to greatly enhance my enjoyment of the book.

A message like this would not be out of place in a chat room discussing literature seriously and maturely. We would expect the author of the statement to be an adult with a great deal of abiding interest in literature.

Now look at this one.

i hav 2 read kate chopin’s the awakening, and i’m findin lots of motifs which make it cool 4 me to read!

This kind of message is more likely to be found on a general discussion board. The author of this message would seem to be a teenager reading a book for class and discussing his or her homework. It does not diverge in content from the previous example, but the style is vastly different. While one level of meaning remains unchanged, a second implied level of meaning—one which constructs identity in the eyes of others—is completely different.

In this way, people can have multiple identities depending on the chat rooms they frequent, and these identities are evident through the way users express themselves. The adoption of these different identities is almost unconscious. It takes little or no effort on our part to switch codes or ways of performing and communicate in a different way.

We can see, then, that the choices we make even before we enter a chat room form an online identity that defines our interactions with others depending on the context.

Well, darn. Guess that means I should start capitalizing spell-checking my messages so I don’t sound like a thirteen-year-old girl…

3 comments:

  1. I've gotten into a bit of online trouble with people myself because of how I worded something. That was mostly early on in my net experience, and since then I've gotten more careful with my wording.

    I've found that using "Smilies" can really help set the mood of your words. A happy-face at the end of a somewhat negative comment can help bring out the idea of sarcasm or "just kidding". And sometimes, right-out saying "just kidding" after a comment is necessary to make sure the wrong idea doesn't get across.

    Also, just wanna say that when a misunderstanding does come along, just be sure to explain yourself calmly and maturely, and even apologize for an obvious lack of clarity on your part. I've turned a few potential enemies into friends that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very interesting point. I rarely use smilies myself, probably because I assume everyone knows what I mean!

    But I find that when emailing people I don't know very well, or instant message new friends, I often have to appologize or explain myself or make sure I tell people that I'm being sarcastic.

    Yet another reason why face-to-face conversations are important. Online, we loose out on gestures, facial expressions and intonation. I wonder what effects our growing dependence on the Internet for communication might have on our face-to-face interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We become expressionless machines!
    "Hello, Fred."
    "Hi, Bob."
    "Something wrong?"
    "No, why do you ask?"
    "I don't know... you just seem a little 'blah' today."
    "Oh. I'm just too lazy to use smilies today."
    "Eh, what?"
    "Well, you know. *click* :)"
    "...What the heck?"

    ReplyDelete